WIT Provides Support to Yellow Employees
by Women In Trucking Staff, on Aug 8, 2023 7:41:22 PM
On Sunday, a week after halting its operations, Yellow Corp. announced it had filed for bankruptcy As 30,000 workers bid goodbye to 99-year-old Yellow, the company’s CEO Darren Hawkins said: “It is with profound disappointment that Yellow announces that it is closing after nearly 100 years in business. Today, it is not common for someone to work at one company for 20, 30, or even 40 years, yet many at Yellow did. For generations, Yellow provided hundreds of thousands of Americans with solid, good-paying jobs and fulfilling careers.”
Yellow employees took great pride in servicing customers from big box stores to small family businesses across America. Its 30,000 freight professionals, both union and non-union employees, were unsung heroes throughout the pandemic, delivering goods to every state, ensuring that our supply chain kept moving and our economy remained strong.
“Yellow has been an active and supportive corporate member of the Women In Trucking Association for years,” said Jennifer Hedrick, WIT’s President and CEO. “Yellow employees actively participated in the Accelerate! Conference & Expo, some were volunteers in committee work of the association, and Yellow supported WIT through sponsorships. So many Yellow employees have not only been a part of the Women In Trucking community, but the broader transportation community, and we want to offer assistance in this time of significant transition.”
Assistance Offered to Yellow Employees
That’s why the Women In Trucking Association is offering to extend a WIT membership for six months to any Yellow employee who has been a previous member of the association.
All that’s required is for the individual to send an email to email@example.com with the following information:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Email Address
- Phone Number
- Mailing Address
- Approximate Years as WIT Member
WIT membership gives value to displaced Yellow employees through 5 primary ways:
- Access to the WIT Job Board
- Ability to network among your peers and potential employers through the WIT Mentor Match program, the Engage networking platform, the online WIT Member Directory, etc.
- Your ability to “put yourself out there” via WIT’s many social media channels that have 120,000+ followers (many of them very active)
- Stay on top of industry news, emerging trends, and best practices through a paid subscription to Redefining the Road (WIT’s official magazine), WIT eNews (WIT’s member e-newsletter), and unique content in the WIT Members Only section of the website
- Discounted rates to attend the Accelerate! Conference & Expo Nov. 5-8 in Dallas, Texas.
In addition, Yellow has partnered with the American Trucking Associations (ATA) to launch its first searchable job database, specifically for Yellow employees. This initiative intends to streamline job placement while giving ATA member companies the ability to connect with thousands of skilled freight and operations professionals, mechanics, logisticians and more. For information on the initiative, please visit trucking.org/jobseeker.
Questions? Contact WIT at 888-464-9482.